Hello achdut,

Friday, June 17, 2005, 7:28:08 PM, you wrote:
a> For some reason, the "Connection Center" window hangs open and
a> won't download a test message that was sent and is sitting on the
a> gmail server.

Gmail sucks... I love the search engine but the email service I rate
as one of the worse of all time. You won't get the test message if you
send it from your own gmail account. You'll need to test from another
account...

a> Is this a function of my not properly setting up the account on The
a> Bat, or could it also be a function of my firewall (Outpost Agnitum).
a> G-mail requires two ports that are different from the usual ones.  Do
a> I need to open them in my firewall first?  If you use g-mail AND have
a> Outpost, I would be particularly interested in hearing from you.

You can always try but don't sweat it. The fault of you not getting
email from your own account IF you're sending mail from the same exact
account is Googles feature and not a bug.

a> Also, because I receive list mail both at home and at the office, I
a> have just discovered that I have not been receiving a large number of
a> postings to the list at home, where I use The Bat. Does anyone have
a> any ideas as to why this is happening? This seems to happen with
a> greater frequency with postings from certain sources.  However, not
a> ALL of the mail from any one source is appears to be missing. I am
a> hoping that this is a function of the ISP's mail server and not of my
a> pc or software.  However, until I can get the g-mail account to work
a> properly for downloading e-mail to my pc, I can't know for sure.

You're stuck. Until Google offers the option of completely disabling
there proprietary spam filters you're virtually hopeless... Go check
your spam folder for those messages...

a> PS.  Because I don't receive all list mail at home, it would be much
a> appreciated if replies could ALSO be copied to my home e-mail address,
a> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thanks.

Honestly, go with hotpop. www.hotpop.com. They might put a tag line in
your messages and they might not. When I first signed up I had a few
tag lines but then, they disappeared.

Another really nice online service to check out which is free and
which stated will be offering pop service in the future is
www.inbox.com. This clearly knocks Gmail out the box and when it
reaches pop status, Google is going to lose a lot of people...

Anyhow, leave Gmail alone... 2GB sounds good if you love headaches.
It's also good if you're prepared to change the standard email
procedure into something you'll only ever find in Gmail...

I rate Gmail 1/5.

 Victor B. Gonzalez
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v3.5.25
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2