Hallo Simon,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:02:14 +0100GMT (10-9-2007, 17:02 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

IT> So  just to make absolutely clear, so I'm left in no doubt, this means then,
IT> if  I have 45 people belonging to a private group/list/forum whatever, and I
IT> can  only filter against their individual aliases, to be able to filter each
IT> individual's  emails (and my replies to each of them) to 'their own folders'
IT> I _still_ have to create 90 separate filters, 45 incoming and 45 outgoing?

Of course not, but that wasn't what you were asking. You asked about
groups of filters. Or to say it differently: You merely asked whether
you could create two groups of 45 filters each.

What you're asking now is whether you can filter a lot of addresses
each to their own folder with a single filter and that answer is: 'Yes'

Create an AB group 'filter contacts' and add those 45 people to it. It
doesn't matter whether you've got them in different AB group too.
Create a filter that checks whether the sender belongs to 'filter
contacts'
Now you've got two choices, either you want all of them moved to the
same folder or you want to move each message to a folder matching your
contact. The first case is rather straightforward, the second case
needs a macro.
I tested it with a single address (didn't want to mess up my filtering
system) I added a 'phone number' to an address book entry (I used the
rather random letters lcs) and the action for my filter was to move
the message \\Roelof\%ABFromPhone  (With roelof being the account
name)
I re-filtered the folder and all messages from that contact were
filtered to \\Roelof\lcs
Apart from %ABFromPhone you can use any address book macro, like
%ABFromE-mail, I just used the Phone entry, because I don't use that
and I wouldn't like folder names with email addresses, but YMMV.

Of course you'll still need two filters for this to function properly,
one incoming filter and one outgoing filter, note that you'd need
something like %ABToPhone for the outgoing filter.
And before I forget it, you'll need to check 'create if necessary'
with the move to action.
Also when you don't use something that you've been using in your
address book (like %ABFromPhone in stead of  %ABFromName) you need to
enter that field for all of the contacts you want to sort this way.

Confused? Me too.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

ERROR: 001 Windows loaded.  System in danger.
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 3.99.24
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
3 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
P4 3GHz
2 GB RAM