Hello Jack,

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:10:54 -0500 GMT (30/09/2008, 21:10 +0700 GMT),
Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

JSL> I've never used receipt/read confirmations so I'm un-familiar with
JSL> their operation. However, I've always assumed that they required some
JSL> action on the part of the recipient. But your reply seems to indicate
JSL> that there's some receipt (but not read) confirmation which is carried
JSL> out automatically by the server or the mail client itself, invisible
JSL> to the recipient. Am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

No, you got it right. These are two different confirmations:

1. The receipt confirmation requests the server to confirm receipt of
the message. This can be turned on or off by the sysad and is out of
control of the recipient.

2. The read confirmation is sent by the recipient's email client, and
the recipient can set his email client to send, not send, or request
action by the recipient.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of
the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the new carpet
will come forward and do so.

Message reply created with The Bat! 4.0.28.4