Hello Thomas,

Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 9:27:25 AM, you wrote:

TF> Hello Jack,

TF> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:10:54 -0500 GMT (30/09/2008, 21:10 +0700 GMT),
TF> Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

JSL>> I've never used receipt/read confirmations so I'm un-familiar with
JSL>> their operation. However, I've always assumed that they required some
JSL>> action on the part of the recipient. But your reply seems to indicate
JSL>> that there's some receipt (but not read) confirmation which is carried
JSL>> out automatically by the server or the mail client itself, invisible
JSL>> to the recipient. Am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

TF> No, you got it right. These are two different confirmations:

TF> 1. The receipt confirmation requests the server to confirm receipt of
TF> the message. This can be turned on or off by the sysad and is out of
TF> control of the recipient.

TF> 2. The read confirmation is sent by the recipient's email client, and
TF> the recipient can set his email client to send, not send, or request
TF> action by the recipient.

I love this list.

Thanks Thomas. I recently had occasion to wonder if a recipient at
least received an email, but not concerned with whether they had read
it. I'll try and set up TB! to request receipt confirmations from now
on.

 Jack                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using TB! v3.99.3 from
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 - Service Pack 3