Dear Ac,

@02-Sep-2009, 21:57 -0700 (03-Sep 05:57 here) AC [A] in
mid:oviu951avoq6jijh7b1qt2tca7rdo5b...@4ax.com said:

... <snip>
A> When I write a paragraph, how does it get sent if I use plain
A> text?

Exactly as seen. TB has already used hard CR/LF pairs at the end of
each visible line to signify end of line, so it has nothing to do but
send the message.

A> Do most programs split the paragraph into actual lines as soon
A> as it is sent?

I cannot vouch for most programs. I can guess that some may do it that
way. I personally prefer TB's honesty.

A> Or can it be sent as one long line, and then the email client wraps
A> it upon receipt?

This also can be seen to happen - and boy, is it annoying! My folder
browse windows (I work mostly in the Ticker Message Browser) is wide
enough to show quite a few columns of data from the message list. The
width of the window is dictated by my need to see this data. Long
lines are wrapped to the width of that window and it is just plain
wrong that they were sent to me that way IMNSHO.

What we know for sure is that the only way to express a line break in
email body text is with a CR/LF. What we also know for sure is that
the only way to express a paragraph break is with a sequence of 2
CR/LF characters.

This is not about TB or any other client. It is about the email
standard - RFC822, which says stuff about 70 character line limits and
how to delimit such things. I know, I know - there are reworks of this
standard with higher version numbers, but RFC822 still says an
enormous amount about how email headers and bodies are formatted.

--
Cheers --  //.arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator and fellow end user
TB! v4.2.10.8 on Windows Vista 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1