On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Scott Redman wrote:

I thought the other problem with stubs was that one tclblend.dll
could not be loaded into both a JDK 1.1 and a JDK 1.2 JVM.

> It's too bad that we can't make TclBlend stubs enabled,
> that would fix this.  The problem with stubs is that
> the TclBlend DLL can also be used as a shell, and shells
> cannot use stubs (unless they located and load the
> Tcl DLL).

I keep hearing stuff about this "fix" but I have yet to see
a patch on the list. Perhaps it is still in development.

> Since Jiang Wu seems to have fixed this feature
> (using TclBlend as a shell from Java), then we shouldn't
> break it with stubs.  Unless, of course, someone writes
> the code to located and load the Tcl DLL.  Maybe in 1.3
> we can fix this by splitting up the DLL into separate
> pieces?

Nope, no "feature changes" are going into 1.2.6. I still have some
error message improvements that I want to add before 1.2.6
will go out but there are no features that need to be changed (IMHO).
A compiler switch for stubs might be a good thing to add to 1.3.

> Maybe we should add a --disable-tclstubs option
> to the TEA configure script so that Jiang can turn off
> stubs (and we add them in for 1.2.6).  The switch to
> stubs should be pretty easy, I had it working fine in
> an early 1.2.5 until I removed it.

Anyone in their right mind would compile Tcl Blend from
the source, it is just those poor windows folks with no
compilers that I am worried about. I just don't see any
reason to keep using Tcl 8.2 as the default for windows
folks.

later
Mo