On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Mike Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've come across another problem with tclBlend.
> Synopsis: if you start up a Java program from Tcl and that Java program
> creates multiple threads that try to invoke tcl.lang.Interp.eval() (with
> appropriate synchronization so they are not interspersing commands with
> each other), the threads hang waiting for the eval call to complete.

We really need to embed a .wav file in tcljava.jar that plays
"You can't do that dave" when someone tries to call Interp.eval()
from another thread. If you try this, things wil get really hosed
(as you found out).

Here are some posts that cover how to do it correctly.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tcljava@scriptics.com/msg00647.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/tcljava@scriptics.com/msg00604.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/tcljava@scriptics.com/msg00619.html

Jiang also wrote up a nice overview of the situation, you
can find his paper here:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~jwu/Using_Tcl_in_Java.html

Getting all of this shared knowledge back into the documentation
is on the TODO list. We also need some nice small examples that
people can look at without having to read all the API docs.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc