> > I think if it's going to be non-thread safe then the code should sanity
 > > check for thread-crossing calls, perhaps with #ifdef's so performance
 > > concerns can be removed for people who don't want the sanity checks.
 >
 > I like this approach, but the problem is that there is no way to
 > easily turn code on and off automatically (ala #ifdef) in Java.
 > You can use final booleans to get the same behavior, but folks
 > would need to go in and turn these extra checks on, so that
 > > kind of defeats the purpose.

I thought it was the JNI / C code side that wasn't thread safe.  You're
saying it's the Interp pure Java code that's the problem?  In that case
you could define an abstract class with all the Interp interfaces and
have 2 implementations, one thread safe and one not, and let people
instantiate whichever they prefer.
  - Mike