I wrote a manual with cartoons in it, does that count? :)

The previous version of the manual was so poorly written that no one
would touch it. When I wrote the new one, I wanted to make sure our
service techs and customers knew it was a different manual. Each
chapter has a cartoon on the first page.

One shows a guy putting away his tools as two other guys walk up.
"You're too late, guys. I got it all set up by myself, and I didn't
even hafta use the manual!" he boasts, while the other two stand
astonished watching leaking cartons exiting the machine.

One shows a guy standing in front of the control panel of the machine,
looking at some hieroglyphic-looking icons. "What do these mean? Who
draws them, Martians???" he asks. (My first draft said, "It's all
Greek to me!" but we were selling a machine to a company in Greece, so
we had to change it. I think I'll be safe from such an offense with
Martians.)

I found it interesting, the cartoonist did some research and put
actual hieroglyphics in the cartoon that meant, roughly, "Give ye
cakes and beer." Humor buried in humor... gotta love it.

Oh, and for the record, we've had this manual translated into multiple
languages. Each time, I tell the translator that if the cartoon is
offensive, to take it out. Each time, they've said they love it, and
it's stayed in the manual, translated. Now, it would be interesting to
see how they did that. If anyone knows Korean, Chinese, Greek,
Spanish, or French and wants to see how it was translated, let me know!

Lisa G.