> I'm starting to look into insurance options (health and dental) and am
> wondering what other self-employed tech writers are doing. I will have
> insurance for six months, and then I'm on my own (unless I want to pay COBRA
> rates...).

Part of it will depend on the state where you live. For example, in
Massachusetts, no one can be required to wait for health insurance
because of pre-existing conditions, but anyone who is self-employed
must belong to a "group" (we belong to a businessman's association
through the local Chamber of Commerce).

And dental insurance wasn't worth it. The limits of what they'd cover
in a year pretty much aligned with the payments, so we don't have it.

Also, each state has its own requirements. I believe that, in
Massachusetts, only insurance companies with a physical presence in
the state can do business here. Therefore, the insurance plans listed
through the STC don't do me any good...they don't cover us.

Finally, if your income is under a certain amount, you may be eligible
for state-provided insurance (if your state offers it). And your kids
may be eligible, even if you aren't.

Oh, one last thing. Again, depending on the state, plus the various
settings (like co-pays, ER co-pays, prescription plan, etc.) the rates
might be anywhere from "I can afford that" to "you've got to be
kidding".

HTH!

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquires sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2006-2007 Microsoft Help MVP
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DOCUMENTATION & TRAINING WEST 07: THE USER EXPERIENCE

April 18-21, 2007 ~ Vancouver BC ~ Marriott Pinnacle ~ free city tour
40+ sessions * free workshops * free iPod offer * www.doctrain.com