> I text message a lot. A friend who lives in MV texts me all the time. If
> he's on the road and not on IM, or having lunch somewhere, and is thinking
> of me, we text. If my manager is thinking of something she forgot to tell me
> and she's at the docs, we text. If I'm thinking of someone, I'll text.
>
> Granted, texting using my Blackberry is easier than with my RaZR, but if you
> do it enough you get used to it and can type quite quickly. Plus, there's
> the little acronyms and shortcuts (although they didn't work so well for
> blind beau, since the reader on his Palm would pronounce the letters if it
> didn't recognize the words -- he always had to stop and think about "c u sn"
> or "lvg now").

I txt a lot as well, mainly because most of my family and many of my
friends primarily txt rather than call. I had to upgrade to an
unlimited txt plan just to keep my cell bills down. ;) But it's
convenient for all the reasons that people have listed. Plus many
phones now have a full language dictionary that will narrow your word
options down as you key, removing the need to hit a key multiple
times.

For example, "hello" is 43556 instead of 4433555555666.

I'll admit a qwerty pad would be useful, but cell-size is just too
small to be much more efficient, IMO. At least for the price tag. For
now I'm happy with my quasi-intelligent cell phone.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.