---- On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:34:37 +0000 Paul "LeoNerd"
Evans<leon...@leonerd.org.uk> wrote ----
 > On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 00:29:43 +0200
 > Denis Ovsienko <de...@ovsienko.info> wrote:
 >
 > > List,
 > >
 > > there is an idea to improve libpcap and tcpdump to enable the latter
 > > to print interface name (index) and direction of each packet:
 > >
 > > https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/issues/296
 > > https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/issues/127
 > >
 > > It is pretty much clear how to do that: the only way would be through
 > > a new DLT, a proposal for which is made here:
 > > https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump-htdocs/pull/3
 > >
 > > Let me ask for feedback on this change because the original author
 > > has issues posting to the mailing list.
 >
 > So, uhm...
 >
 > Any thoughts on this so far? I'm really keen to have it applied,
 > because I already have a full implementation of a tcpdump-like program
 > that I wrote almost entirely *because* libpcap+tcpdump can't do this.
 > It would be great to have it supported by core after all.

There are following differences of the proposed SLL2 from the existing SLL:

1. the Packet type field is 1 byte long (now as in struct sockaddr_ll)
2. same for the Link-layer address length field
3. there is a new Interface index field 4 bytes long (same as in sockaddr_ll)

This makes SLL2 quite close to sockaddr_ll (except the the order of fields and
the sll_family field, which is told to be equal to AF_PACKET in this case). In
other words, it looks sufficiently good on paper to proceed with the
implementation.

--
    Denis Ovsienko