On Jan 11, 2017, at 11:42 PM, Weber René <rwe...@baumer.com> wrote:

>> We working at software for industrial cameras which are supported by the
>> cameralink standard. We use Wireshark to monitor the control interface. We
>> have implemented a solution similar like the u3v dissector and uses link
>> type DLT_USER0.  The cameralink interface is basically a serial interface
>> like rs232 uart.

>So this is for GenCP over a serial port, rather than GenCP-over-UDP?

I don't know a GenCP-over-UDP - where can I find some information about this?

CamaraLink is f.i. to find in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Link  - at
the schema you can see the serial to grabber and the serial the camera line.
The original cameralink specification you can download at
http://www.visiononline.org/vision-standards-details.cfm?id=171&type=6. Without
registration is it find at many other location
(http://www.adlinktech.com/cn/products/MachineVision/pdf/CameraLinkOfficial.pdf)

The GenCP control channel is at the end a bidirectional serial channel like a
pc uart (electrical are this two LVDS-signal lines). The signal data are
asynchron serial frames with start, stop and data bit exactly like uart. The
GenCP frames self are described in
http://www.emva.org/wp-content/uploads/GenICam_GenCP_1.2.pdf.

>> But often exist this only inside the application and not as separate
>> comport. The using of DLT_USER0 is not so comfortable, because the protocol
>> at every user is at first to set to cameralink ... Therefore, I'm requesting
>> a DLT_ value for this.  Please let me know what the proper procedure is for
>> this or if you have any other questions/concerns.

>So do the packets in such a pcap or pcapng file start with the serial prefix
>described in section 1.5 "Serial Prefix", followed by the common command data
>described in section 4.3 "Common Command Data", followed by the specific
>command data for the command in question (section 1.6 "Serial Postfix" says
>there's no postfix for serial ports)?

correct. U3V in opposite to cameralink has a different prefix and a different
endian order.

> (Presumably the same code can be used to dissect the common command data +
> specific command data for GenCP-over-UDP.)

perhaps

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Albert Schmidt· Dr. Oliver Vietze
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Radeberg
Amtsgericht Dresden: HRB 15379
Ust. ID: DE 189714583