On Jul 11, 2018, at 1:32 PM, Ali Abdulkadir <autostart....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nope. Although it wouldn't be super helpful if they were to remove/update the
> ANSI compiler test. That would make libpcap at least *compile* on windows
> with the autotools. I think tcpdump's configure script removed that test at
> some point.

There isn't an "ANSI compiler test".

Currently, libpcap *and* tcpdump use the standard autoconf macro
AC_PROG_CC_C99, which checks for flags necessary to implement C99 features.  We
require a subset of C99 features to be available in the compiler, so we *can't*
remove that.  (Yes, that means older versions of MSVC aren't guaranteed to be
able to compile libpcap and can't compile tcpdump. We're not going to change
that.)

> Linking (shared) is currently not possible though. Fixing that is more
> complicated as libpcap's Makefiles are mostly handcrafted (don't use e.g.
> automake which would handle OS specific things such as the setting proper
> file extensions).

Can automake be used with non-GPLed software?

(libtool has its own idea of how to name shared library files, so we'd have to
work around that "feature" in a platform-dependent fashion, were we to use it.)