On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 1:40 PM Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2024, at 9:38 AM, Bill Fenner <fen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this a reasonable way to proceed?
>
> Yes.
>
> Perhaps have a file icmp-common.c or print-icmp-common.c with code and
> data structures common to ICMP(v4) and ICMPv6?

There's a bunch of stuff that would have to move to print-icmp-common.c;
for now if it's ok I'd rather stick with the code living in print-icmp.c.

Once someone implements RFC4884 for IPv6 (and hopefully updates the
implementation for IPv4 to match the RFC), it may make more sense to move
the code since there will be more shared code.  (Basically, the RFC8335
code calls print_icmp_multipart_ext_object(), and I don't want to move that
until there's a reason to - and it doesn't really make sense for
print-icmp-common.c to call into print-icmp.c)

My current proposal is the second commit in
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/1131/ - right now it's
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/1131/commits/a362775645ac012eeda9d4f66c47b595cee36e77
but that may change if I need to make any changes.

  Bill