On Mar 28, 2024, at 2:19 PM, Denis Ovsienko <de...@ovsienko.info> wrote:

> Yes, AIX and Haiku sometimes make portability issues manifest.

And, in this case, Solaris doesn't have SIGINFO, either; SunOS 0.x-4.x didn't
have it, as BSD hadn't picked it up, and they didn't pass it along to be put
into SVR4, so it's not in the SVR4-based SunOS 5.x.

As noted, neither does Linux.

I.e., at this point, if it's not named "somethingBSD" or "Mac OS X/OS X/macOS",
it doesn't have SIGINFO.

> Changing the compiled-in defaults would be one thing, and given how long
> ago the current behaviour was implemented, it would be best to think
> twice before changing it.  There are users with learned keystrokes and
> scripts that work, let's keep it this way when possible.

The only change I'm suggesting to the compiled-in defaults is to change the
default for SIGUSR1 from the current default of "print_stats if the system
doesn't have SIGINFO, kill the process if it doesn't" to "print_stats
regardless of whether the system has SIGINFO"; neither the default for SIGINFO
(print_status if the system has it) nor the default for SIGUSR2
(flush_savefile) would be changed.

I don't see a way in which any remotely reasonable learned keystroke or script
would depend on SIGUSR1 killing the process on *BSD/macOS, so I don't see an
issue with SIGINFO *and* SIGUSR1 both causing stats to be printed.

> Allowing to override the defaults at run time

Which is what I was talking about there.