> This reminds me that we need to find a way to release upper layer
> vnodes when the lower layer is recyclable -- see the comment in
> layer_inactive.  Otherwise files deleted under a null mount while open
> through the null mount may persist on disk indefinitely as long as the
> upper layer is still around...

FWIW, i think it's worse than you describe.  for me:

- it doesn't matter what layer i delete the files from

- the files aren't open anymore

the only way i found to recover disk space was to unmount
the upper layer (which hung for a while, assuming writing
the new disk contents), or, later reduce kern.maxvnodes.

.mrg.