> On Jul 31, 2023, at 6:25 PM, Rin Okuyama <rokuyama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> epoll(2) for COMPAT_LINUX is implemented in as similar manner to
> NetBSD's. Therefore, it should also have this compatible issue.
> Is is still useful for real Linux applications? Or do you have a
> plan to lift this limitation?

When I first looked at epoll() (back when I wrote eventfd and timerfd), I
looked at the FreeBSD implementation and specifically chose not to use it
because it was based on kqueue, and thus has the “kq descriptors not inherited
across forks” wart.  The extent to which this will impact real Linux
implementations … honestly I have no idea.

Perhaps the BEST solution is to fix this stupid limitation in kqueue (obviously
version the system call for backward BSD compatibility).

-- thorpej