On Thu, May 6, 2010 07:09, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM,  <sky...@cs.earlham.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 20:57, Matt Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> I keep a set of hearing protectors in the glovebox of my car and
>>> several sets of foam earplugs in my notebook bag.
>>>
>>> Yeah, a bit off topic, but still important.  I recommend stocking up
>>> on EAR brand earplugs whenever Harbor Freight has them on sale.
>>> Protect your
>>> hearing while you are young, tintinnitus at my age is annoying.
>>
>> OSHA and likely your state's labor department regulate the maximum
>> noise level a worker can be exposed to without protection. You ought to
>> be able to get your employer to provide you either ear plugs or
>> something more permanent.
>>
>> Skylar
>>

> This is true, but it doesn't help you if you are colocating at a data
> center.  Also, you need to decide if it's politically wise to throw around
> OSHA regulations at work when a box of ear plugs at the drug
> store is $3 (hint: it's not wise.  If you really care just go buy some ear
> plugs).  Those regulations are meant for people who are in such an
> environment all day long (like if you work at an airport).  You need to
> know how to pick your battles.

While it is trivial to buy protection of your own for the job, I would
argue that it's better to remind your employer that it is legally
obligated to protect its workers, and that you're aware that you have
those protections. That way you'll be on better footing to resist even
more serious hazards like lifting and confined space work. Even if the
employer doesn't do it for you, the incentive of not having a bunch of
worker's comp claims on its record ought to be enough.

Skylar