> From: Doug Hughes <d...@will.to>

> dd-wrt does a good job of this.  I've bought  a few dd-wrt preinstalled
> access points off ebay with good  results.
+1 on a WRT54GL with dd-wrt firmware installed.

Additional advantages:
1. The dd-wrt firmware allows you to raise the WiFi signal power. The default
is
42mW on the WRT54GL. You can go up to 70 without creating other problems.
Notably, 70 is the default on the dd-wrt firmware.
2. You can reconfigure the router for other purposes as your needs change. You
may find that at the new strength, you may only need one AP.

3. dd-wrt has other nice features, e.g., QoS for a house with VoIP.

There is also another major 3rd party firmware to consider, Tomato.
http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+router-with-tomato