Brad Knowles wrote:
 > So long as the DHCP server infrastructure can be expected to be
 > 100% reliable, or at least no less reliable than the routers &
 > switches on your network and the DNS servers configured for use
 > by the servers, then I don't see what the problem is.
 >
 > You're already dependent on these other things like DNS servers,
 > routers, switches, etc... so it's not like your non-DHCP server
 > is guaranteed 100% uptime just because it doesn't depend on the
 > DHCP system.  If your DNS servers go south, then anything that
 > depends on them will go south -- including all the other servers
 > on your network.  If your routers and/or switches go south, so
 > does everything else.
 >
 > At least DHCP has the advantage that the protocol is typically
 > on used at boot time, and once you have successfully booted, you
 > don't need to talk to it again.

There is another caveat to this.  Error timeouts.

When routers, switches, and DNS recover, "the next request" tends to
work.  You want your DHCP clients to make that next request, after
recovery of service.

You would need to configure the DHCP clients to either not timeout
and exit, or fall back to known unique reachable IP addresses.
Otherwise network recovery means getting on every server's console.

You also want to make sure your DHCP server can handle the load of
the datacenter coming back from a total power outage.  Though if
your clients are configured to never timeout, they will eventually
recover, even if the DHCP server is overloaded.

--
END OF LINE
       --MCP