Skype doesn't meet our needs for a lot of reasons.  Mostly centralized
contact list.  If you want everyone to use some solution, then contact list
anarchy is simply a failure.  Not good enough.  We need the ability to
centrally maintain a contact list for users.

I'd like a BYO skype alternative.  I'm looking at counterpath bria as the
client.  It does voice & video, and I think chat, and file transfer,
cross-platform compatible, etc.  But I'm not 100% sure about its
capabilities, and I'm not sure what type of server would be best for me to
configure.  (I'm also looking at all sorts of other alternatives, like
vidyo, and cisco, etc.  But for this conversation, I'd like to focus on the
assumption of BYO skype alternative, either by using Brio or something
remarkably similar.)

The requirements are not sharply defined.  It's basically, "Enable something
that will facilitate communications."  People should be able to maintain an
online presence, and easily reach other.  All sorts of bonus points come for
things like iPhone apps, and having real phone numbers, and so forth.  Bonus
points for supporting our existing single-sign-on windows AD structure, or
at least pass-through authentication so people don't need to maintain *yet*
another password.

I'm thinking about callcentric (or any sip provider), openfire, and
asterisk, and SER (http://www.iptel.org/ser/) and one possible approach for
me is to simply explore all these things and become a self-taught expert on
everything.  *cough*  But I'm hoping somebody here may have some experience
they'd like to share, and lighten the load for me...

Gems of wisdom?

Thanks...