Skype is proprietary and have innovated a lot, I believe nobody else pools
bandwidth the way they do.

Is this for a company? How big?

My experience is:

For presence and IM, XMPP is one of the best open open protocol today. It does
voice and video, but, I don't believe there are any physical dedicated devices
for it, so it'd be pc to pc only. You mention openfire, I have been very
impressed with openfire, but I have only used it in small setup so I don't
know how it scales. You can also federate with other servers if that is a
requirement, so you could do IM with people on gmail etc...

There is a huge market for SIP physical devices, and even professional
servers, and professionals doing the planing and installs, and if installed
properly, you should be able to interact between physical devices and PCs.
Presence works, but I have never seen IM working properly with SIP (could be
an implementation issue). As Doug mentioned, do talk to people who do that for
a living, it will save you a lot of time and a few grey hairs.

There are other proprietary, non-standard platform, such as Microsoft (don't
know the name of the products), but then you run in all the usual issues such
as you can only use their clients, their directories etc... and they typically
do not interact with physical devices.

Depending on your budget and requirement, you should also look at the tenors
such as Tanberg, with enough money, they will install a video conference room
which make it hard to believe you are not looking at people accross the room.

--
Yves.                                                  http://www.SollerS.ca/
                                                     http://images.SollerS.ca/