On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <lop...@nedharvey.com>wrote:

> > From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> > Of Phil Pennock
> >
> > On 2010-09-25 at 08:53 -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > > If it's apple-only, you can only call it "the new standard" like
> > google wave
> > > was the new standard to replace email.  It bombed because they
> > weren't
> > > friendly with non-google email accounts.  In order to use wave, you
> > could
> > > only sign in using your gmail account, and you could only communicate
> > with
> > > other gmail users.  Wanna talk to someone who isn't on gmail?  Too
> > bad.
> >
> > This is not only a mis-characterisation in part, it's also untrue.
> > [disclaimer: while employed by $G, I've never been involved with Wave
> >  other than as a user; this post, like all of my LOPSA posts, is
> > written
> >  in a strictly personal capacity]
>
> Most response snipped.  I'm replying to the message as a whole.
>
> I'm not slamming wave.  I'm saying:
>
> I'm not focusing on the pros/cons of wave.  I'm focusing on calling
> something a "new standard" which is not a standard because it's exclusive.
> If there's a product which is apple-only or google-only or MS-only, you
> can't call it a new standard, unless you want to qualify that, by calling
> it
> an "industry standard" or something like that, which imples it's not a
> standard so much as a near universal adoption by consumers.

While I totally agree with you, that is a lost battle. Companies are always
trying to bend reality and create hype about their products and "standards".
In the IT world we must see at least a new "standard" every week.

“The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.” –
Dr. Tanenbaum

--
Giovanni Tirloni
gtirl...@sysdroid.com