Jonathan Nicol wrote:

> Very true about them failing in batches, but.. the PSUs are almost
> never made by the same manufacturer as the motherboard etc. We had a
> batch of Sparkle PSUs all fail within months of each other, but the
> Supermicro motherboards are still going strong years later..

We still have a few hundred Dell 1650s that are still going strong.  We
replaced a few power supplies since we bought
them (mostly in 2003-2004), but not more than 20 or so out of 500+ 1650s (each
is/was dual PS, so more than 1000 power
supplies).

The damn things just won't die.

But a few of the Cisco switches we had over the past few years seemed to eat
power supplies like donuts.  Every Friday
morning...

--tep