Hi Brad,

> Since ping takes either an int or a string as a host name arg,
> it would be neat if a flag could be passed that forces ping to treat
> the host argument as a string rather than an int

I'd say that flag already exists:  just give the FQDN.
So i don't think we need yet another flag.

If you (unwisely according to your own opinion, and you didn't explain
why it helps you for anything) assign names that are prone to confusion,
use the existing ways to disambiguate in case of need, and do not add
more knobs, in particular no knobs needed only in weird edge cases.

Yours,
  Ingo