2010/12/22 Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>:
>> Is there any documented test for the quality of the PRNG?
>
> Are you talking about our use of MD5, or our use of RC4?

RC4.

> If you are talking about our RC4, then there is; I will put it this
> way: If our use of RC4 in this exactly-how-a-stream-cipher-works way
> is bad, then every other use on this planet of steam ciphers is bad,
> and very broken.  We are relying on the base concept.

I was just asking if the implementation of the RC4 based PRNG is done
correctly and if there has been a test of the quality of the PRNG
output. It just looked strange for me to seed the algorithm of the
PRNG with a plain time value, though it's just a few bytes at the
beginning of a larger block of data. So, if you believe the
implementation of the PRNG is correct, there is no need to further
analyze this issue.

> The idea is that you can initialize a stream cipher with near-crap and
> it will work OK for the way we are using it.

Right.

> If the MD5 stuff we generate is crap, we are still probably more than
> OK compared to everyone because we are going further, and doing the
> slice/dice everyone-shares on the RC4 output.

I did not say, that anything you generate is crap.