On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:23:08 +0100 (CET)
David Vasek wrote:

I am fully aware that it is not always completly exact, and but on the
other hand the CPU clock rate doesn't change immediately, it takes at least
5 seconds to drop/rise after the CPU load changes. At least on my Pentium-M
based Thinkpad, where I run apmd -C.
I've seen an intel tool just for this job showing the cpu scaled up for
a second at a time.

But do we have any method to get some "averaged" CPU frequency for the past interval? We don't have any. When I take in account that some other values in top(1) are not averaged either, but they are what they are at the moment of "sampling", I think that current hw.cpuspeed is not that bad. But one must remember what it actually displays, after having read the man page carefully.

Regards,
David