On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 10:35:27AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > aucat is similar to X11 in this regard: necessary for a desktop, useless
> > on a server.
>
> Except you are wrong.  For instance, my audio box has no display.
>
> aucat as a daemon is an intragral back-end to a library which more and
> more audio programs will be linked to, and those things need to move to
> a more powerful API.  If aucat is not running, a completely different
> audio flow codepath is used.
>
> Among other things, audio streams have to be mixed by a trusted third
> party.  One program's library cannot give audio input to another
> program to mix it.  Classically the over-complex solution has been to
> have the kernel mix it.  With aucat, the solution is for an ambiant
> running daemon to mix it and control everything.  It has to be
> running, or the old path is used.
>
> The plan is to gut the direct device code-paths substantially, and
> stop trying to perform magic two ways.  The direct-device methods will
> continue to work, but only as minimally as they did 10 years ago.

I'm totally aware of all of this, I tested sndio when it was not called
sndio yet, when ratchov@ (I think) sent the first diff for sdl to misc@.
And I read source-changes@.

> If some of you people keep insisting on having backwards compatibitity
> with the stone age, we'll have stone tools forever.
>
> I don't know why our mailing lists are always full of people who don't
> even understand what they are talking about.  Teach yourself before you
> try to teach us.

Come on, I'm not one of those guys. I never trolled or whined about
anything on this list.
There was a debate on whether it's good or not to enable aucat by
default. I just put forth the idea that maybe you could let the user
decide. You don't like the idea? Fine.

Best regards,
Jona