Penned by Mike Belopuhov on 20120609  6:17.29, we have:
| On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
| wrote:
| >>
| >> The point is: when you want tiling from time to time, it's impractical
| >> to switch to a tiling window manager.
| >
| > the basic tiling isn't really a problem but tiling WMs need various
| > hacks to cope with the many programs that just *don't work* with them.
| >
| > part of this is to cope with window layouts which are stupid when
| > they're tiled, part of it to cope with programs that plain don't like
| > having their windows resized on them immediately when they're created.
| >
| > personally, I do see benefit to having your diff or something like it with
| > commands which can be bound that rearrange windows into certain layouts
| > on-demand (though I think vtile would be a lot more useful than htile to
| > many people with restricted vertical space ;)
| >
| > but I think that's far enough; to get cwm to work as a full-time tiling
| > WM with window rearranging taking place all the time is going to need
| > various hacks which just seem at odds with the basic design of cwm.
| >

| > so +1 for manually-triggered auto rearranging, -1 for turning cwm into
| > something which (dwm|ion|spectrwm|awesome|wmii|xmonad|...) already cater
| for.
| >

| in my very humble opinion what cwm really needs is a nice minimum
| overlap window placement algorithm.  currently users have to point
| the mouse cursor to where they want a new window to be created.
| otherwise the whole thing quickly turns into a mess of overlapped
| windows in the center of the screen.

Given that cwm was started as a plan9 wm alike, and you'd draw the
xterm you wanted to open with the pointer, I think this is counter intuitive
to the current default behavior of cwm.

However, I'd be all for permitting a knob to change this behavior from the
default.

On the tiling thread, so long as tiling is contained behind non default
options and not seen otherwise, I don't see the harm.  Yes there's more
code, but in this day and age size of the binary is not going to make a
huge difference.  Code that is self contained behind knobs that are not
enabled by default seems quite sufficiently separated that there should
not be any issue (or it is not self contained, and will be readily
corrected).

The point about switching wm's is rather to the heart of the matter.  If one
wanted tiling only, one would use spectrwm.  If one wanted non tiling only,
one can use cwm.  If one wants a combination, one must create the diff that
created this thread.

Please commit, ok todd@!

Thanks,
--
Todd Fries .. t...@fries.net

|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| 2525 NW Expy #525, Oklahoma City, OK 73112  \  sip:freedae...@ekiga.net
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \  sip:4052279...@ekiga.net

              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt