Stuart,

The flag is there to not change old behavior.
Of course matching the beggining of mac make sense the rest is just strange
behavior.
But a mac address could be spoof, so it may be used.

Its just a - and an if else.

thx.

I do not understand the other complain.
especilly when it s userland code (the string stuff was done inside
ifconfig)

Maybe 'you' meant:
ifconfig bridge0 rule pass in on fxp0 src de:ff:de:ff:de:ff mask
00:ff:00:ff:00:ff

and then do | before bcmp

which would be nicer
and i can remove the flag by putting a default mask

agree Henning ?

2012/6/30 Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>

> On 2012/06/29 20:05, sven falempin wrote:
> > ifconfig bridge0 rule pass in on fxp0 src de:ff:*
>
> wouldn't it be simpler to just allow a mask value to be set,
> then you don't need to mess with extra flag variables, just mask
> the MAC address with this value before comparison.
>
> > ifconfig bridge0 rule pass in on fxp0 src *:de:ff
>
> what use-case do you have for this? matching on the vendor part
> sort-of makes sense, but I'm at a loss to see anywhere you might want
> to match the *end* of a MAC address and ignore the start...

/\