On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:02:00 +0100, Alexander Hall wrote:

> Since I switched to SMTPD I noticed a few cron emails being marked as
> spam by spamassassin, largely caused by the From: and To: headers not
> containing a domain part.

Sendmail will add the domain if the always_add_domain feature is
enabled (as it is in our default config).

> If I read RFC822 correctly, the domain part is not optional, and thus
> we should append one, unless MAILTO already specifies one.
>
> Historical reasons from the land of pre-smtp why I'm wrong?

Historically, cron has been able to work with non-internet mailers
that simply write to the local spool file.  It seems like smtpd
should add the domain for locally-generated messages if one is
missing.

 - todd