Todd T. Fries <t...@fries.net> wrote:

> If there are desires to improve this (I hear Naddy grumbling!) then the
> stomach to break backwards compat must be present, or suggestions on how
> to do it without breaking backwards compat must be suggested.

My suggestion is two-fold:

* Introduce a new format.  This new format will ignore # comments,
  call ! commands, but otherwise pass on everything unchanged to
  ifconfig.  I'm neutral on the matter of retaining "dhcp" and
  "rtsol" as shortcuts for "!dhclient \$if" and "!rtsol \$if".

* To maintain backward compatibility, retain the old parsing for
  hostname.* files.  Interface configuration files in the new format
  will have a different name; if.* or whatever.

Does that sound workable?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de