On 2013/09/06 07:42, Nick Holland wrote:
> On 09/06/13 04:50, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2013/09/05 20:03, Barry Grumbine wrote:
> >> Non-VM use case: The BeagleBone Black has no RTC, so -j could be
> >> useful for cheap little ARM development boards.
> >
> > -s is fine for that (and the same for those of the alix boards with
> > no rtc battery, etc).
> >

> ...unless the machine isn't attached to the network when initially
> powered up.
>
> Same goes for any machine with a dead RTC battery that may not have a
> good network connection at boot, and/or you don't want to slow the boot
> down by 15 seconds if there is no network connection.

Another similar case, also not handled particularly well at present, is
where you pick up your default route from a dynamic routing protocol so
there's no default route when ntpd starts.  It seems to me that
improving -s to cope better in this situation would be useful, and
safer than -j in the event of an upstream NTP server going bad.

> This shocks people, but I often use a computer where there is no
> network connection. Waiting for that 15 second boot delay is annoying.

Me too, I usually ^C there if I'm offline.