On 2013-12-21 Sat 09:16 AM |, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > You seem to be coming from the perspective that people do stupid
> > > things, and our base system should handle those stupid things.
> > >

> > My perspective is maildir (backed IMAP) is commonly deployed,
> > and such are as well being security checked.
>
> Yes, and perhaps that means they should use a different directory!

No thanks.

I say /var/mail is the right place for maildirs.

The mailbox format is too limiting these days, with all of its file
locking problems.

A cluster of SMTP servers can concurrently write to a set of NFS mounted
/var/mail directories, while simultaneously, a cluster of IMAP servers
can concurrently both read and write to the same NFS mounted /var/mail
directories.

I'll continue to locally patch security, as I'm not fool who makes an
idol out of archaic UNIX traditions.

Cheers,
--
Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7