Em 05-03-2014 23:01, Ted Unangst escreveu:
> If we're going to discuss things that would be useful, I have for
> quite some time wanted a kexec() syscall that loads a new kernel and
> reboots into it. I think that would be helpful for a variety of tasks,
> not least of which is avoiding the four minute BIOS countdown sequence
> on overengineered servers.
>
> As for FDE, you'd initially boot to a small, normal OpenBSD
> installation. Like an initramfs, but not all scrunched up. You login
> via ssh and run "kexec /bsd sr0a:password" or something,
> which tells the system to reboot with that kernel, except using softraid
> as the root partition.

Now we're talking. I thought of this also, didn't looked at the
complexity of it yet. Another task where it would be useful, is in
overwriting the RAM with /dev/zero or /dev/random. This approach is used
on TAILS live cd to wipe the RAM after use.

But I believe, not have looked much at the code yet, that the kexec()
approach would be simpler than implementing the pivot_root().

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
GPG: 4096R/77B981BC