On 3/12/14 4:58 AM, tuchalia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm really interested in this possibility of porting the Capsicum framework
> to OpenBSD. Should l try to port also the Casper daemon to OpenBSD,  or
> only work in the kernel implementation?
>
> I've used Capsicum during the last summer, but I only worked with the
> syscall API, that is, no Casper (something that can be fixed quickly).
>
> I know what I should I do with the Capsicum side (in the matter of getting
> some info to have a strong proposal) but I'm not sure about where to look
> when it comes to the OpenBSD side. Should I take a look at the process data
> structure, and how all this is implemented in the kernel? Should I take a
> look somewhere else?
>
> Also,  do we have any IRC channel to discuss al this?
>
> Many thanks,

I'm also interested in porting Capsicum, although so far all my emails
about it have been off-list.

I've already been in contact with dempsky@ (one of the listed mentors,
and has previously done some work towards porting it) since before the
OpenBSD Foundation announced it was applying for GSoC, and I submitted
my application to Google when applications opened on the 10th. Hopefully
I'll get accepted.

If we both get accepted I think that could work well too, there's
certainly enough work to do. We should just plan out what exactly we're
each going to do to avoid stepping on each others' toes too much.
Thankfully the API is already well defined thanks to FreeBSD so
cooperating on different parts should be pretty easy, and it'd be nice
to have another dedicated person to peer-review patches with.