On 05/06/14 00:10, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet
<jean-phili...@ouellet.biz> wrote:
On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 11:30:40PM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:
NULL theoretically could be != 0

Umm... short of something like:
     #undef NULL
     #define NULL "I'm silly and want to break everything"
or something, I don't see when that'd be the case.

I assumed from context that halex@ was asking about null pointers
having a non-zero memory representation, which is allowed by ISO C and
POSIX.  But all OpenBSD platforms guarantee that all-bits-are-zero
pointer values are null pointers.

Yeah, I don't know much about standards, but that sounds like what my mind was referring to. :-)

I'm almost certain that OpenSSH probably relies on this in places too,
so I think we're fine to rely on it in LibreSSL.

I believe a similar situation could appear with not explicitly initialized global or static declarations, e.g. in
sbin/fsirand/fsirand.c:

fsirand(char *device)
{
        static char *inodebuf;

                if ((ib = realloc(inodebuf, ibufsize)) == NULL)
}

Anyway, since people more knowledgeable than me on the topic (meaning lots of people) do not consider this an issue, I guess it isn't.

/Alexander