On 14 May 2014 18:14, Alexander Bluhm <alexander.bl...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:29:20PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
>> so as discussed recently having the inet6 link-local addrs on every
>> interface by default is stupid and a security risk.
>
> Connecting a computer to the internet is a security risk.
> IPv4 is on by default, and so IPv6 should be on by default.
> I want both to be handled the same way.

And that, to me, is what this does, sans the +inet6 bit on which I
agree with Mark. i.e. 'ifconfig <if> up' does not magically make IPv6
work while not making IPv4 work.

>> the only use case that needs config adoption: people ONLY using
>> link-local, they will need to put +inet6 in the corresponding
>> hostname.if file.

I don't think this is needed. The eui64 thing seemed more obvious to
me. Hmm. '-eui64' to remove it once it was added?

> There is a use case for running IPv6 over an interface without
> setting an address.  Configure a global IPv6 address on lo0, run
> ospf6d on any physical interface and it will provide connection.
> IPv6 autoconfiguration with link-local addresses is useful.

So instead of everyone putting -inet6 in their hostname.if files,
possibly even having to create hostname.if files to prevent interfaces
from magically being portals into your system, now the people who know
they want/need IPv6 have to put 'eui64' lines in the interfaces they
want to be addressable.

Again, this seems more consistant with IPv4 usage than today's setup.
So I vote ok.

.... Ken