On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
>> mmap() "first appeared" in 4.1cBSD [mmap.2] and was scheduled for
>> inclusion in 4.2BSD (1983) [UVM thesis, p36], but didn't "actually
>> appear" until the 1993 4.4BSD release [UVM thesis, p36].
>
> At least MAP_ANON is definitely a lot older than 1993.
>
> The original CSRG commit introducing it looks like this:
>
>   sys/sys/SCCS/s.mman.h:
>   As 00038/00013/00010
>   Ad D 7.2 90/12/05 15:28:56 mckusick 6 5
>   Ac update for new VM
>
> And that commit did make it into the 4.3BSD Net/2 release,
> published on August 20, 1991 (as seen on Kirk's CSRG archive CD).

Thanks.  I think that's generally consistent with the years I quoted
above, though I suppose the UVM thesis's "actually appear" wording is
arguable.

Maybe CDC was referring to how 4.3BSD was a development release,
whereas 4.4BSD was a production release?  ("This release represents an
intermediate point in the development of 4.4BSD; [...] This
distribution is NOT intended to be used on production systems"
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/release/BSD/BSD-Net1)

> So i'd challenge anybody arguing for MAP_ANONYMOUS to show
> a published <sys/mman.h> header file containing that spelling
> where it was introduced before December 5, 1990.

I don't think MAP_ANONYMOUS is being proposed for standardization
because it's perceived to be of older origin than MAP_ANON or
anything.  I'm pretty sure the focus is instead because it's perceived
to have greater 'market share' among present day systems and
applications.