On 09/09/14 19:57, Brad Smith wrote:

The Realtek hardware in that dmesg is an NE2000 PCI adapter which
the sparc64 kernel config indeed does not have a driver for at the
very moment, although it could be added. Having a QEMU driver for
the Happy Meal MAC would provide the best level of compatibility
with other OS's as that is what comes with a lot of Sun systems.

Agreed. Once I've sorted out the NVRAM issues in theory QEMU should be able to run some older 64-bit Solaris 9-10 kernels, and I suspect I'll need to implement a virtual hme device in order for that to work. It seems like people on this list have quite a bit of SPARC experience, so would it be okay to ask questions about hme drivers on this list? Or would somewhere else be more appropriate?

But for OpenBSD and sparc64 there are other options that could be
used from QEMU's perspective such as the e1000 [em(4)], i82551 /
i82559er [fxp(4)] and rtl8139 [re(4)] drivers that should work
well.

Interesting. Longer term the aim of the QEMU project is to move the hardwired machine types into pluggable devices, e.g. you can build a whole machine on the command line from multiple -device parameters or preload the default machine types such as sun4u using instructions from a file. So while this is not practical now without source hacks, it is likely to become possible in the future.

ATB,

Mark.