On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:16:21 -0500 "STeve Andre'" <and...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On 12/22/14 05:02, thev...@openmailbox.org wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:53:04 +0000 Jason McIntyre <j...@kerhand.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> it is correct only if you want to sound like a pillock. modern english
> >> does not routinely use "an" before words beginning "h".
> >>
> >> it depends on the sound. you could have "an h-bomb", but not "an house".
> >> "an historical event"...well some folks would insist that reads better.
> >> of course, you *can* do it for comic effect, but it's best not to just
> >> drop "an" because the noun starts with an "h".
> >>
> >> some folks do drop their "aitches", so they might say "an ex". that
> >> would be ok, but confusing.
> >>
> >> i'm sure if you scout online you'll find some better details (as well as
> >> some conflicting ones ;)
> >>
> >> jmc
> >>
> > seems like this particular case may be in a grey area.
> >
> > a quick check of wikipedia (English_articles):
> >
> > Some speakers and writers use an before a word beginning with the sound /h/
> > in
> > an unstressed syllable: an historical novel, an hotel.^[12] However, where
> > the
> > "h" is clearly pronounced, this usage is now less common, and "a" is
> > preferred.
> > ^[11]
> >
> > 11. ^ ^a ^b How to Use Articles (a/an/the) ? The OWL at Purdue
> > 12. ^ Peters, Pam (2004). "a or an". The Cambridge Guide to English Usage.
> >      Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. p. 1. ISBN
> > 0-521-62181-X.
> >

> > so there is a conflict right there. by and large though i tend to give more
> > credit to something from Cambridge University Press.
> >
> > 'an hex' sounds to me (literally) like it fits the words where this is more
> > common, but it's hard to say, since it is based on how the individual word
> > is pronounced, and so is relative to the accent, and thus there may not be a
> > correct usage for some words across all english accents...
> >
> > it may also depend on how one pronounces 'a' too. 'an hex' sounds better
> > than
> > 'uh hex' (a common pronunciation of 'a'), but long 'a' sounds better than
> > 'an'.
> >
> > so upon some reflection, i don't think there is a correct answer for this
> > case.
> > however, even if it is 'less common', it may be still be appropriate for the
> > written word/documentation. whoever wrote that man page originally perhaps
> > thought so. either way. natural languages aren't really mathematical.
> >

> This isn't grey.
>
> "A hex" <something>, not "an hex".  None of my teachers who stressed
> good writing would have let that pass.
>
> --STeve Andre'

do you have a bit more than than? from what i cited above "The Cambridge Guide
to English Usage." says that 'an historical novel, an hotel' are valid, both
of which are things. i found the "Oxford Guide to the English Grammar" which
says that using 'a' or 'an' depends on how the 'h' is pronounced (or not), but
also says that using 'an' is 'formal and old-fashioned' citing 'hotel' as an
example.

i found this paper here, which is very pertinent:

http://www.harbeck.ca/James/harbeck_historic_r.pdf

it's specifically about the 'an historic' vs 'a historic', but delves into
historical and contemporary uses of 'a/an' with 'h', and criticisms. the issue
is not so clear-cut, and apparently never has been. the trend seems to be
towards 'a' rather than 'an', but it is not an absolute.