Hi,

Antoine Jacoutot wrote on Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:24:56PM +0100:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 01:20:03PM +0000, Craig Skinner wrote:

>> stopping base daemons: cron spamlogd spamd sshd ntpd unbound
>>   nsd pflogd syslogd.
>> syncing disks... done

> I cooked a patch for that a few months ago (actually >1 year ago iirc)
> but we decided not to go down that road for a reason I cannot recall
> right now.

I guess the point was that it's nothing but useless complexity.

I see how a clean shutdown might matter for, say, postgres.
But what is the point in shutting down cron, sshd, ntpd, or unbound
right before the system is going down anyway?

Shutting down stuff like pflogd and syslogd before the system
is actually going down might even be harmful.

If it turns out there are one or two base daemons where shutting
them down by running the rc.d(8) script is better than what
currently happens, those one or two could get special handling
in /etc/rc itself.  But so far, i don't remember that anybody ever
saw a specific need for any of them.

Yours,
  Ingo