On 2015-02-20 11:12 AM, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
Hi Craig,

Craig Skinner wrote on Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 04:41:17PM +0000:

Changed to skip pflogd, syslogd & check /var/run/rc.d/
No, we don't want it, and we have given reasons: It makes the code
longer, more fragile, and provides no known benefit whatsoever.
Fixing the most blatant downsides does not change that.

Which problem are you trying to solve?

Yours,
   Ingo

Two daemons that would very much matter are ospfd and bgpd. Normally, doing a clean shutdown of bgpd is the LAST thing I want, because that would break BGP graceful-restart - that capability relies on BGP simply disappearing. If I shut down BGPd, I withdraw all my prefixes. A clean shutdown of BGP can take several minutes; only very rarely would I want to sit and wait for BGPd to shut down before rebooting. (Ospfd would be similarly affected IIRC.)

And by the time we get to special-casing half the daemons in base, what's the point? Doing a clean shutdown of nfsd (or lockd or statd) would be harmful to certain clients that would otherwise survive the nfsd reboot. Ditto for iked, sasyncd, iscsid, ldpd, and possibly even ntpd (not sure about that one).

Client-server protocols are generally written to retry on, or otherwise be resilient to, failure; signalling shutdown when I have to kick the server in the head for some reason (which, yes, even happens with OpenBSD :-)) would be a bad thing for some to many clients.

--
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net