Here is a similar use-case:

I maintain a number of HA clusters with fully automatic bi-directional
synchronization using rdist. To achieve this I have as few file
differences as possible and those that must differ (mostly
hostname.$if) being entirely scriptable -- the sole noteable exception
is /etc/myname that drives the reconciliation script. Obviously, the
logs and temporary files are excluded, but every file necessary to
configure and operate the system must be included.

Now for the tricky part relevant to the title subject -- most of the
clusters are not created by cloning, so their DUIDs are independent.
Most of my clients are SMBs and do not realize to what extent they rely
on the infrastructure "appliances" as the commercial appliances these
servers replace do not generally support HA-clustering (that feature
being marketed to "Enterprises" not SMBs). Once the client is educated
and discovers that the incremental cost to add HA is relatively low,
they go for it; however now that the primary server is busy under load,
the additional cluster member(s) are built using installation image
rather than direct cloning.

I guess as long as /etc/fstab continues to support non-DUID device
names, it can be manually edited after the initial system build.
However, that also opens the window to transcription errors which can
easily render the system non-operational, requiring recovery from
external media, thus substantially complicating the deployment step.

-Jacob.