Serguey Parkhomovsky wrote:
> Hi tech@,
>
> There was recent discussion in having a new version of flex in base, as
> our current version (2.5.4) is ancient. I have prepared a patch that
> will update it to 2.5.39, taking a few examples from NetBSD's and
> FreeBSD's flex.
>
> The patch is organized as follows:
>
> * [1/2] Flex 2.5.4 -> 2.5.39
> * [2/2] Minor changes to files that wouldn't compile with flex 2.5.39
>
> This patch has a few changes from the upstream version of flex. They
> are:
>
> * Removed autotools cruft/localization/texinfo manual/etc
> * Kept the old manpage, as the new manpage is content-free
> * Used safe string handling functions and fixed several compiler warnings
> * pledge(2). Flex 2.5.39 now forks/execs its filter chains and needs proc
>   exec in addition to what was previously pledged
> * Removed register keyword from all variable declarations
> * renamed parse.c, parse.h, scan.c, skel.c with init prefix so compiling
>   flex outside of obj by accident wouldn't clobber the bootstrap files
> * Minor fixes (spelling, accessing buf[strlen(buf) - 1] for zero-length
>   strings in initscan.c/scan.l, etc) that were already in our tree

Thank you. It's also nice that some local changes were preserved.

I think the diff is too large to meticulosly review, but am of the opinion we
should just drop it in, hope for the best, and then pick at it in the tree as
necessary.

Hopefully development has slowed down to just updating the occasional
translation and we won't have to do this again.