On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 09:30:30AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> I agree with Stuart.
>
> When these lists include chip numbers, that is valuable.  Lists
> containing names like Belkin RandomProduct may be less helpful, but
> the case hasn't been proven the lists should be removed.

I completely agree as well. I use the lists, particularly for wireless
adapters, to at least get an idea what type of parts to look for on
Amazon or eBay.  Last month I pickup up a urtwn(4) device that I would
never have found had it not been listed in the man page.

Although I haven't checked the bge(4) man page in a long time, I have
checked the em(4) and ix(4) man pages recently in search for hardware. I
would really like to see this information remain in the man pages. I
recognize it can't be totally complete but it at least gives a starting
point. Anyone who looks at the manpage and sees a list of chipsets
followed by "including the following:" should realize that it is not an
exhaustive list.

If this information is removed, it will also lead to many more "Does
this work?" posts on misc@ since many people can't buy hardware for trial
and error.

Bryan