1. You can pick a mirror relatively trivially, but since I've run the
program, the fastest one isn't the one I chose manually. Also, it can
choose multiple mirrors at once, so presumably if there is a failure, it
will choose the next mirror(s) that it wrote down in pkg.conf

2. You are saying that the ftp protocol can be implemented trivially? You
are ridiculous sir.

3. How do you suggest I filter out obviously bad choices. Add on a perl
geolocation package that isn't available in a base install. How about I
just ftp download a smaller file to discover the latency.

4. How doesn't it meet standards. I wrote it according to the style man
page as far as I can tell. And I ran it through indent. Even though I think
kernel normal form is less readable.

I think that there is some unwritten policy that nobody can get something
like this into the system. Why on earth hasn't this happened yet?