On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 07:40:35PM -0600, joshua stein wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 at 03:32:53 +0200, li...@wrant.com wrote:
> > Apparently all you guys use laptops with LVDS, but TFT/LCD panels on
> > VGA are still widely common in use.  You remember the automatic adjust
> > functional button on these monitors, right?  It does phase and sync
> > adjust that saves a lot of fiddling.  It works best on a fine pattern
> > exactly like the stipple which we know is from old times but is that
> > pattern for the same reason, help you focus you CRT tubes.  Also, think
> > about focusing projectors that use VGA.  Same thing, focus is good to
> > have and the pattern still helps.  I'll comment on floppies another day.
>
> So start X with -retro for those specific times you need it.  This
> is a weak argument for forcing this default on everyone, every time.

So "$ startx -- -retro".

Solid black is the worst w/black background on xterm etc. when stacking,
not saying i don't feel embarrassed about it whenever anyone does see
the stipple, but it is also colored enough to use the display for some
light in a dark room.

If it is not going to be black, i hope atleast cwm default border colors
will be taken into consideration when choosing it.

-Artturi