Hi Gerhard,

Gerhard Roth wrote on Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:08:52PM +0200:

> +.\" Copyright (c) 2016 genua mbH
> + * Copyright (c) 2016 genua mbH

These kinds of Copyright notices without the name of the actual author
are misleading.  The purpose of a Copyright notice is to inform the
reader who enjoys rights with respect to the Works; while they are
not legally required to establish Copyright and purely of advisory
nature, it is hard in practice, often almost impossible, to find out
who holds rights without them.  So putting incorrect or incomplete
information in Copyright notices defeats the very purpose of these
notices.  Please never do that.

According to international law, specifically Article 6bis of the
Berne Convention (1886, last amended 1979), even when transferring
all the economic rights, the original author of a Works always
retains the Moral Rights, including the following:

  "Independently of the author's economic rights, and even after
  the transfer of the said rights, the author shall have the right
  to claim authorship of the work and to object to any distortion,
  mutilation or other modification of, or other derogatory action
  in relation to, the said work, which would be prejudicial to his
  honor or reputation."

So not naming the author in the Copyright notice effectively
subverts the author's most fundamental inalienable right:
Being known as the author - without which the other moral rights
against derogatory action etc. lose most of their power.

At the very least, the name of the author must be included,
for example as follows:

  Copyright (c) 2016 genua mbH
  This software was written by Gerhard Roth.

But actually, company names on ISC software licences are silly.

The ISC license is specifically designed to grant all rights under
Copyright that can legally be granted except one:  To relicense.
But relicensing never has any effect since that ISC license already
grants all rights; relicensing under a different license could only
grant less rights, which would have no legal effect but might confuse
people unaware of the original grant of the ISC license.  The ISC
license only explicitly reserves one right:  To be known as the
author.  And that cannot ever be given away (see Article 6bis above).

So technically, if genua mbH insists on "(C) genua mbH", what they
are actually saying is this:  "Look, in the future, we might wish
to decide to attempt to deceive people into believing that this
software is less free than it actually is, so we reserve the right
to relicense under a less free license; or we mistrust the author
and fear that he himself might attempt this deception, so we legally
bar the author from re-releasing his own code."  In my book, both
would make them look somewhat silly.

So please get their OK for:

  Copyright (c) 2016 Gerhard Roth.

If they want acknowledgement for supporting the development, which
would only be fair if they did support it, that acknowledgement
does not belong inside, but after the license, for example:

  * Copyright (c) 2016 Gerhard Roth.
  *
  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
  * [...]
  * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
  *
  * Development of this software was supported by genua mbH.

Of course, if you have a working contract with them, they may be
allowed to insist on the silly line "Copyright (c) 2016 genua mbH"
if they want to.  But even if they try to forbid you from adding

  This software was written by Gerhard Roth.

they cannot prevent that.  Even if your working contract would say
that you transfer all your rights including the Moral Rights, that
part of it would be null and void.

Note that the form you used might be considered legal in the U.S.
because the U.S. still doesn't fully implement the Berne Convention,
after all those 130 years.  Last time i checked, the U.S. still
allowed companies to strip authors of rights that are inalienable
by international law.  But in most other countries, in particular
those that respect international law, and specifically in Germany,
your version of the Copyright notice seriously misrepresents the
legal situation.  And none of my proposed versions is illegal in
the U.S., by the way.

Yours,
  Ingo